New! Wilton Benitez Innovation Series
If ever there was a coffee not to miss, this is one of them! From the same farm/producer that brought us our esteemed Macarena Colombia (one of our most talked about coffees) comes the first coffee in a series of three very special coffees from grower Wilton Benitez. A Java varietal from Benitez’s Macarena farm in Colombia, this coffee blew our minds. It boasts a plethora of complex flavor and aroma notes including orange sherbet, lavender, hibiscus tea, red vine, hops, tamarind, thyme, vanilla, and raspberry cheesecake. It’s elegant, velvety and creamy. If you are after a unique and memorable coffee, you do not want to miss out on this wildly interesting lot! Buy now.
The unique process at the farm level. Wilton Benitez is at the forefront of innovation in coffee processing. He is a chemical engineer turned high-end coffee grower and his science background, coupled with decades of experience in coffee growing/tasting, have led to some of the most unique and nuanced coffees we’ve experienced.
- First, selectively harvested ripe cherries are sterilized with ozonated water and ultraviolet light.
- The coffee is then depulped and an anaerobic yeast fermentation takes place in bioreactors for 52 hours.
- At the end of the fermentation, the coffee seeds are subjected to a thermal shock (first a high temperature to swell the beans and allow the unique flavors and aromas from the initial anaerobic yeast fermentation to penetrate the seeds, then a cold temperature to constrict the beans and lock in those unique flavors and aromas.)
- After this the coffee seeds are gently rinsed/ washed.
- The coffee then undergoes controlled drying until the beans reach 10.5% internal humidity.